Recently, Josh Reeves wrote several great articles with simple ideas and ways you can be missional in your workplace, as well as simple ways to engage your neighbors (Part 1 & Part 2). Josh will continue sharing new ideas in this 5-part series called Simple Ways To Be Missional In Your City and Community.
And although the word “missional” has become quite a buzzword recently, it really just means that we live every day as missionaries. Jesus said that “As the Father has sent me, so I send you” (John 20:21). That word “sent” is where we get the word “missional.” It simply means that we live as Jesus lived – as sent people who live everyday life with gospel intentionality.
In fact, most of the simple ideas you’ll find below are very much in the context of your everyday life, but when looked at with a lens of gospel intentionality – when viewed through the eyes of a missionary – become not just ordinary tasks, but eternally significant rhythms of your life that are teeming with gospel opportunity:
Extended Neighborhood – The Regular Spots In Your City
- Invite a neighbor to a local sporting event
- Start a guys night at your local pub/eatery
- Get involved in your kids school PTA
- Connect with other school kids through local coop events
- Be a part of your local genealogical society
- Tip generously at your regular restaurant spots
- Participate in local film viewings and discussions
- Attend your local High Schools sporting events
- Coach a local little league sports team
- Offer to teach free computer training sessions at your local library/public venue
Do you have some other ideas or ways that you or your Missional Community have engaged your city? Let us know below in the Comments section!
Pick one of these ideas and act on it this week. Tweet us @VergeNetwork and let us know how it went!
Josh Reeves is the Lead Planting Pastor with Redeemer Church in Round Rock, Texas. One way you can thank Josh for his helpful articles is to support Redeemer by going here.
Follow Josh on Twitter: @joshreeves